ViEW aims to:
- promote and support excellence and international cooperation in veterinary education.
- provide an international network for discourse amongst veterinary educators and cooperation in veterinary educational research.
ViEW aims to be an inclusive association, and membership is therefore open to anyone with an interest in developing and promoting excellence in the education of veterinary professionals, or undertaking research into veterinary education.
Annual Meeting and Activities
- The annual ViEW Educational Meeting will continue to provide the main focus for the association’s activities, and will normally be juxtaposed to, and be a component of, the annual Association for Medical Education in Europe (AMEE) conference.
- An Annual General Meeting (AGM) of ViEW members will occur once a year.
- Other ViEW meetings and activities may be organised on an ad-hoc basis.
- The VIEW website keeps members informed of recent developments in the field, forthcoming events, and other relevant information.
- Discussion groups have been set up within the allied NOVICE project website (Network Of Veterinarians in Continuing Education)
The following officers are appointed to represent ViEW:
- President – Clare Allen
- Treasurer – Sheena Warman
- Secretary – Harold Bok
- Webmaster – Harold Bok
Clare Allen (ViEW President) is a Senior Teaching Associate in the Department of Veterinary Medicine at the University of Cambridge, United Kingdom. After several years in equine general clinical practice, including owning her own practice, she completed her PhD in Higher Education and Student Affairs at The Ohio State University. Since then she has been working on curriculum design and innovation, outcomes assessment and research on the career choices of veterinary students. (Linked-in profile)
Sheena Warman (ViEW Treasurer) is Senior Clinical Fellow in Small Animal Medicine at the University of Bristol, United Kingdom. She has responsibility for the final year of the veterinary programme and for staff development within the veterinary school. Sheena holds the European and RCVS diplomas in Small Animal Medicine and is currently undertaking a part-time EdD with the Graduate School of Education in Bristol. (Linked-in profile)
Harold Bok (ViEW Secretary) is Assistant Professor at the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University, the Netherlands. After working as a veterinarian in small animal clinical practice, he completed his PhD in Veterinary Education. He is a teacher and coordinator in several courses and is chairman of the Quality Assessment Committee. His research focuses on workplace-based learning and assessment, competency-based learning, and programmatic assessment. In particular he studies how to integrate learning and assessment in order to enhance and evaluate professional development. (Linked-in profile)
- Initial terms of office will be for a period of two years, however, these may be renewed on a rolling basis.
- ViEW officers are responsible for the management of ViEW within the directions agreed by members at the AGM.
- The President is responsible for ensuring that an AGM of ViEW members occurs once a year.
- In addition to those officers named above, a subset of ViEW members will be appointed on an annual basis with specific collective responsibilities for organising the ViEW Educational Meeting.
- The quorum for decisions on ViEW will be those members voting either at the time or in advance of the AGM
- The agenda for the AGM will be circulated to ViEW members 4 weeks in advance with electronic voting available as necessary
- Individual members will be asked to register their details via the website. There are no dues for membership.
- Other income generating activities (such as sponsorship) will be discussed on an individual basis with appointed ViEW officers.
Links with other organisations
- ViEW is established as a sub-organization of AMEE [to be confirmed at 2008 AGM].
- ViEW will also consider developing informal links with the Association of American Veterinary Medical Colleges (AAVMC), the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA), the Federation of Veterinarians in Europe (FVE) and the European Association of Establishments for Veterinary Education (EAEVE).
- ViEW is an allied partner of the Network of Veterinarians in Continuing Education (NOVICE) where interaction and collaboration can take place in the interactive website of NOVICE